Spanish Navy

Organization

Location - Submarine Flotilla - Organization - Armada Española - Ministerio de Defensa - Gobierno de España

Icon twitter Icon RSS
Tuesday, 16 January 2018 - document to 12:27:29
MAIN CONTENT OF THE PAGE

Location Organization

In the days of Fernando VI, two dry docks were built at the north quay of the dockyard in Cartagena; they were the first to be built in the Mediterranean. The first one was built in 1753 and the second one in 1756.

After the magnificent reign of Carlos III and the declining reign of Carlos IV, the unfortunate reign of Fernando VII brought with it the prostration of the Navy.

The docks fell into disuse; the wooden doors became rotten and the water pumps dismantled.

Opposite the docks there was an XVIII- century building used by the staff of the dockyard and the moulding loft. That building was given over to the Base and School of Submarines, with the quarters, warehouses and barracks. The useless dry docks were transformed into mooring quays for the submarines, being popularly known as “basins” nowadays.

Hardly a month after the arrival of the three class-A submarines from Italy, a law was passed (R.O 23 October 1917) ordering the submarines to dock every three months in order to be painted and for the hulls and the rest of elements to be checked.

In the early days of the Flotilla, it was usual that its units sailed periodically to Barcelona, where they were checked on the floating dry dock belonging to Junta de Obras Del Puerto. Workers of the factory Talleres Nuevo Vulcano carried out the checking and painting of the hulls and then the submarines sailed back to Cartagena.

The Submarine Base was founded after the R.O. 11 October 1918 was passed. It was inaugurated in 1920 and called “Submarine Station” to avoid confusion with the Base of Cartagena. Being the most senior commanding officer of the fleet, Lieutenant Commander Mateo García de los Reyes took over the leadership of the base.

The Law of 17 February 1915 ordered the building of a floating dock allocated to low-tonnage ships. At the beginning, this floating dock was intended to be set in El Ferrol but in the end it was assigned to the Submarine Base in Cartagena, where it was put into service in 1924. The Submarine Station registered it (R.O. 30 November 1924) and in December that year it was in service. That way, the grounding of submarines could be planned independently and meet the needs of the Flotilla.

By order of the Admiral of the Fleet (Ministerial Decree num. 414/25/82, 7 January D.O. 8/1982), the name of Lieutenant Isaac Peral was perpetuated in the Navy. Otherwise, as the Submarine Isaac Peral S-32 was due to be decommissioned, his name would have disappeared.

Lieutenant Isaac Peral was the first navy officer who devoted his life to the study and development of the submarine, having his name gone down in history as a forerunner of submarines.

By reason of Ministerial Decree number 1.061/77, 7 September, at the suggestion of the Chief of Naval Operations in the Mediterranean and in accordance with the Navy Staff,

I ORDER THAT:

the Submarine Base in Cartagena will be called Submarine Base Isaac Peral from 1 April 1982 on.

Since its foundation and up to now, the base has undergone many vicissitudes but has always kept the same structure.

INFRASTRUCTURE OF THE SUBMARINE BASE
  • Main Building
    • COMSUBMAR office
    • COMSUBMAR STAFF
    • Submarine Commanding Officers’ Desks
    • GRUSUB.
    • Assembly Room
    • Library
    • Officer’s and Petty Officer’s mess room
    • Submarines’ warehouse
    • Mess hall
    • Maintenance Shops
  • Submarine School
    • Classroom building (Narciso Monturiol)
    • Escape training Tank.
    • Simulators Building (Cosme Garcia)
  • Seamen quarters
  • Supplies building
  • Sick bay and Chapel building
Localización base de submarinos
^ subir Imprimir Documento