The first time the village is mentioned is in a document of king Ferdinand II dated in 1158. In 1733 the Crown ordered the city to have a military chief and a mayor. Nowadays, La Graña is a neighborhood of the nearby city of Ferrol.
LA GRAÑA ARSENAL. In 1724 king Felipe V established La Graña Shipyards and between 1729 and 1730 the first large warships were built: the ‘Galicia’ and the ‘León’, a 70-gun ship of the line.
From the original shipyard building, only the stone coat-of-arms remains. It represents two rampant lions holding the King’s shield. The School of Pilots was also headquartered on those premises until 1756, when it moved to Ferrol. This area and the surrounding mountains witnessed the Battle of Brión where the British admiral Warren was defeated after landing on the nearby Doniños beach.
In 1869 an ‘a float’ Naval Academy was set up in one of La Graña’s piers onboard the frigate ‘Asturias’.
LA GRAÑA NAVAL STATION
During the last decades of the 19th century, and until 1915, the Naval Station hosted a Torpedo Brigade. Subsequently it became a Seamen Apprentice School, with the corvettes ‘Villa de Bilbao’ and ‘Nautilus’ as classrooms.
In 1941 the Manoeuver School was set up and established in La Graña, and in 1991 it became a Combat Evaluation Centre (EVACO in its Spanish initials).
In 1989, another department was established in La Graña: the Supply Services Center to train personnel on Administration and Services issues.
SCHOOL OF OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTIES IN ‘LA GRAÑA’ (ESENGRA)
In July 1995 started the process of integration of the Naval Station, the Manoeuver School and the Supply and Services Center into a single School of Occupational Specialties, or ESENGRA, as it is known today.
Training Cruises on board the ‘Juan Sebastián de Elcano’ contribute to the nautical, military, social and human instruction of midshipmen from the Marin Naval Academy
The offshore patrol vessel (OPV) ‘Vigía’ set sail from Puntales Naval Station (Cadiz) to conduct a series of activities in Africa as part of the Defense Diplomacy Plan and a follow-on of the Africa Partnership Station (APS) initiative
The auxiliary oiler and replenishment ship (AOR) ‘Patiño’ is to integrate into the Standing NATO Maritime Group Two (SNMG-2) for two months
F-100 frigate ‘Méndez Núñez’ left her home port in Ferrol (NW Spain) towards the Mediterranean Sea to integrate into the Standing NATO Maritime Group Two (SNMG-2)
Frigate ‘Reina Sofía’ (F-84) set sail to integrate into the Standing NATO Maritime Group One (SNMG-1) as part of this rapid reaction force deployed in Atlantic waters
The amphibious assault ship ‘Galicia’ set sail from Rota Naval Base to take part, as flagship, in the European Union counter-piracy Operation ‘Atalanta’ in the Indian Ocean
Frigate ‘Canarias’ (F-86), departed Rota Naval Base to integrate into EUNAVFOR’s mission ‘SOPHIA’ to help stop human trafficking in the central Mediterranean Sea.
The purpose is to enhance the interoperability between the Spanish Navy and the RAN, and to provide training to the crews of the Spanish-designed ‘Hobart’-class anti-air destroyers on board the AEGIS-equipped frigate ‘Cristóbal Colón’.
The oceanographic research ship ‘Hespérides’ has started the 22nd Antarctic Campaign in support of the Spanish science.